EPDM stands for ethylene propylene diene terpolymer. EPDM roofs are a roofing system that offers superior durability and versatility and is therefore long lasting. Additionally, they are easier to install, maintain and repair. Essentially this roofing system offers an unparalleled and unmatched service through top-quality craftsmanship within the commercial roofing industry.
All about EPDM Roofing
EPDM basically is a kind of rubber material. This material is used in waterproofing the roofs. The use of this kind of roofing makes the roof water repellant and resistant. We must understand how to install rubber roofing on a flat roof. While installing the EPDM roofing, we must be very careful. We should make sure that there are no wrinkles, bubbles, stretching, ponding, dips and the presence of visible bolts. If these are present at your roof, this must be looking very ugly. Not only ugly but the presence of these factors also hampers the efficiency of the roof.
The most effective system or the most effective way to install EPDM roofing is to glue it down on the flat roof. The most important instruction here would be that the glue used for the roofing purpose should be of very good quality and also contaminant free. Getting this roof installed in the right way is the most important factor. Before getting this roof installed the contractor must check with the quality of the EPDM rubber roof. You should only move ahead if the quality of the EPDM roof is nice.
Installation Guide for EPDM roofing – Step by step process
An EPDM rubber roof is very easy to install. It is installed with the help of large rubber sheets. These rubber sheets are simply glued to the EPDM rubber flat roofs. This method of getting your roof secured is less expensive and will require less labor with respect to all the other roofing methods. The most hassle free method of EPDM roof installation is the fully adhered method. In this method the membrane i.e. the EPDM rubber roofing will be permanently fitted to the surface which will be the flat roof.
- Make sure that the roof or the flat surface was you will be fitting the EPDM rubber membrane is clean and dry.
- Next you must unfold the rubber sheet and lay it down. The make sure that the sheet is evenly spread on a flat surface. It should not be having any wrinkles or dips in it.
- Next up apply the adhesive glue on the EPDM rubber sheet as well as the flat roof. Be careful that you apply the adhesive in sections. This will allow you to work properly with the glue and you will be able to apply the glue all over uniformly.
- Next make sure that the glue on both the surfaces is evenly spread.
- Make sure there are no bubbles or wrinkles on the surface of the rubber sheet. Allow the glue to dry for a good time. Touch the glue with your finger; if the adhesive is still wet give it some more time to dry.
- Then you must stick the EPDM rubber sheet on to the surface of the flat roof. Just like you stick a paper with glue. Try and avoid thick areas or bubbles filled up with the adhesive.
- If there are any wrinkles take the help of a broom to sweep over the sheet.
We have discussed about EPDM rubber roofing. We have also discussed how we should be installing this kind of roofing. Also we have discussed a proper step wise installation guide about how we shall install an EPDM roof.